Last night was thoroughly enjoyable for Red Sox fans as they watched their team beat up on the Cardinals to win Game 1 of the World Series 8-1. While most people feel that St. Louis isn’t really that bad, Boston still feels really good about this win and what it means for the series. Even if the Cardinals play as well as they should be able to, the pressure is now on them.. and their very young starting pitchers that will take the mound in the next few games. So even though the Cardinals kind of beat themselves, Red Sox fans should feel very confident about this series.
Here are some of the major highlights:
* Jon Lester got the start for the Red Sox and was dominant. He pitched 7 2/3 innings with 8 strikeouts, 0 runs, 5 hits, and 1 walk. He threw 76 strikes on 112 total pitches. He’s now 2-0 in World Series games.
* David Ortiz hit a two-run homerun in the 7th inning. He went 2-for-3 with 3 RBI.
* Mike Napoli hit a deep double with the bases loaded, bringing Jacoby Ellsbury, Dustin Pedroia and David Ortiz home for 3 RBI.
* Admittedly terrible batter (but great on defense) Stephen Drew got on base! Crazy right? Well, it was actually because Wainwright and Molina both let a very short pop-up fall on the ground between them, but since they didn’t touch it, it wasn’t an error.
* The Cardinals made 3 errors (really more, but that’s what the stats say). Here they are:
Here’s a recap of World Series Game 1:
Thanks for reading,