Last night, the Bruins played the first game of the 2013-14 season at home against the Tampa Bay Lightning. It was awesome in so many ways! …
* We won 3-1.. a nice start to the new season.
* We scored two shorthanded goals.
* Chris Kelly scored the first Bruins goal of the season on a penalty shot! He is not known as a scorer, but he had some great moves. He even faked me out.. Right when I thought he was going to shoot, the Lightning goalie, Anders Lindback, thought the same and went for the stop. Then Kelly made an extra deke and knocked the puck in. It was great! He also played well throughout the whole game.* Tuukka Rask stopped 32 of 33 shots against him for a .970 save percentage! He is still one of the best in the league.
* Jarome Iginla made his Bruins debut.. Finally! He played very well (of course) and it looks like his line with David Krejci and Milan Lucic will be one of the best in the league. Our second line with Patrice Bergeron, Brad Marchand, and Loui Eriksson will be very good too. But back to Iginla.. He seems to fit in with the Bruins perfectly. He should’ve been here all along. In his first game with the Big Bad Bruins, he knew what his initiation was: he had to get in a fight and beat someone up.. and he did! He’s not a goon or a thug, but man can he fight. He dropped the gloves with Radko Gudas and kicked some serious ass. The best part is how they stepped back for a second, which is usually when the refs would break it up.. but the refs knew Iginla was proving himself to Boston, so they let them keep fighting. Then Iginla stepped back in and really let Gudas have it. It was awesome! Jarome Iginla IS a Bruin!
* New Bruin Loui Eriksson looked good and promising.
* Milan Lucic played well and scored a goal. Very nice.
* Patrice Bergeron is back with both lungs and is still amazing. He scored a goal after doing a sick drag and curl move around a Lightning defenseman.
* Our defense is still solid. The Lightning’s Steven Stamkos and Martin St. Louis were the top two in scoring in the NHL last season, yet we didn’t allow them to score a single point.
* Our penalty kill is still very good as is especially evident by the fact that we scored twice while on the penalty kill. We also successfully killed a Lightning 5-on-3.
It was a nice start to the season and it was great to see and hear the fans being so into it in the first game of the season. Also, I’m loving that we have Jarome Iginla. He brings so much to the team and seems to be a perfect fit here. I know it’s early, but I think this team is very well built and has a pretty good chance of getting to the Stanley Cup Finals again this season. I’m so happy we have Bruins hockey again! GO BRUINS!!!!
NOTE: Normally our posts aren’t so brief, but I’m extremely hungover.. Two Captain & Cokes per period plus one waiting for me at Legends after each period is way too much! It’s not just the alcohol, but all that sugar! I highly recommend not doing that. 😉
Here’s a video of Chris Kelly’s penalty shot goal:
Here’s a video of Jarome Iginla fighting Radko Gudas:
Here’s a video of Milan Lucic’s goal:
Here’s a video of Patrice Bergeron’s sick drag and curl goal:
Here’s a video of highlights from the game:
Thanks for reading,